Penn College NOW
Frequently Asked Questions

Click on a question below to show the answer or click here to show all of the answers.

At what grade level can I participate in the Penn College NOW program?

Generally, 11th and 12th grade students are eligible to participate in the program. Tenth grade students may only enroll in ACR111, BCT103, CSC124, EET124, FHD101, FHD118, HTH100, PPT115, WEL114, and WEL116. In addition, there is one senior-only class, ENL111.

What does it cost?

Beginning Fall 2014, the tuition for Penn College NOW is free. Depending on your school, you may be required to purchase your textbook(s). For electronics, you will also need a scientific calculator (TI84 or equivalent).

If I have questions about the Penn College NOW program who should I contact?

Contact your school's single point of contact.

When do I enroll?

You may enroll during your school district's scheduling process in the spring or fall.

Where are the courses taught?

The courses are taught at your local high school or career and technology center.

When are the courses taught?

Courses are taught during your regular high school or career and technology center day.

Who teaches this course?

Courses are taught by a high school teacher approved by Pennsylvania College of Technology.

Are there prerequisites?

Some courses do have prerequisites and you must satisfy those prerequisites before being allowed to enroll in the course.

What qualifications do I need to take a Penn College NOW course?

You must have an appropriate score on the reading placement test and, if required, an appropriate score on the math placement test.

Why must I qualify for Penn College NOW?

It is important for you to have a reading level that will enable you to comprehend college textbooks. All college students at Pennsylvania College of Technology are required to take placement tests.

How do I prepare for the Penn College NOW tests?

For free practice tests, check out the following websites:

What happens if I do not score high enough on the tests to enroll in Penn College NOW courses?

If a student is tested in the spring and needs remediation in math and/or reading, they have the option of remediating over the summer and retesting in the fall. Please discuss the possibility of remediating and retesting with your school's single point of contact.

What books do I use?

You will use the same textbooks that are used for the college course or one that has been approved by Penn College faculty.

How do I get my textbooks?

Contact your high school teacher.

Am I required to pay for my textbooks?

We encourage students to purchase textbooks for their classes since these books are foundation textbooks for the college program. It is up to your school district whether you must buy the required textbooks for your courses. Some schools buy the books for the students, and some do not. However, if purchasing the books is an economic hardship, scholarships may be available for students who are on the free lunch program at school. Check your school district page for more information.

Can I drop this course if I get a D or F?

A date for dropping courses has been set based on your school calendar. You will receive a 'W grade'.

If I drop out of the program before my senior year in high school but I have earned a successful Penn College grade, can I still get credit for the course?

Yes, your Penn College transcript still exists.

What is the "Penn College grade" and how does that relate to my high school grade?

The Penn College grade is calculated using the same formula for on-campus courses. It is up to your local high school to determine how your high school grade will be calculated. The Penn College transcript will use the Penn College grade.

How do I get a Penn College transcript?

Visit the transcipts web page for instructions.

If I decide to attend Penn College after graduating from high school, when do I need to apply for admission?

You need to apply no later than the fall of your senior year.

How do I apply for admission to Penn College?

When you decide to attend Penn College, you will need to go through the regular Penn College application process.

Do the I have to pay an application fee?

There is no application fee if you apply online. If you choose to submit a paper application, there is a $50 application fee. This fee is waived if a Penn College NOW Fee Waiver is submitted with your paper application.

Are there special enrollment processes at Penn College for Penn College NOW students?

No. You follow the same procedures as any high school student applying to Penn College.

If I decide to attend Penn College after high school graduation do I have to take the placement tests?

You do not have to retake the reading placement test. Additional math placment testing may be required depending on the course(s) you have taken or plan to take in the future.

How do I get housing?

Once you have applied and been accepted to Penn College, a packet will be sent to you that includes housing information.

Will I have a special academic advisor at Penn College who will understand the Penn College NOW Program? Who is that and when will I get to meet that person?

Yes. An advisor will be assigned to you prior to your college Freshman year.

What if I decide to change my major while at Penn College or not enter into one of the recommended majors. Will my Penn College NOW credits still be guaranteed?

Yes, although some or all of your credits may not count toward graduation in your new selected major.

Does Penn State accept dual enrollment credit?

Yes, Penn State accepts transcripted dual enrollment to the extent that it fits within the major.

Will my high school credits transfer to another college or university?

The extent to which a course will transfer to another college or university is at the discretion of the receiving college or university.

Penn College NOW is partially funded by the Carl D. Perkins Career and Technical Education Improvement Act of 2006 (Public Law 109-270) through the Pennsylvania Department of Education, by the generous support of Pennsylvania companies through the Educational Improvement Tax Credit program managed by the Pennsylvania Department of Community and Economic Development and by Pennsylvania College of Technology.